Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Long Live Traditions!

Yesterday at my MOPS meeting our subject of conversation was Easter.  We were discussing at our tables what traditions we grew up with at Easter and what traditions we do now with our own families.  It was a great question and it really got me thinking.  ***Quick side note:  If you are a mother of young children and don't know what MOPS is you've got to check them out!  It is such a wonderful organization and has been a tremendous support to me - I love my MOPS group and don't know what I'd do without them!***


http://www.mops.org/


Okay, back to the topic at hand.  :)  As I was thinking about the traditions I had grown up with in my family it made me realize just how important they are in my life.  I have always known that I love traditions, even as a child it was important to me to do the same thing every year.  And instilling traditions in my own family is something I've always looked forward to and am excited about starting now!  I'm a very nostalgic person and tradition just helps feed that to me.  I find that traditions make celebrating each holiday that much more fun and the anticipation that it brings is so exciting to me.


Looking back on my Easter traditions yesterday made me realize that I have my mom to thank for it all!  She is the one who made them happen and who kept them alive throughout the years.  Even during my teenage years she continued to hide an Easter basket for me to find on Sunday morning.  And when I was in my early twenties, living far away from home in South Africa, she would always send me packages for all the different holidays - Easter, Christmas, and even Valentine's Day (another tradition she kept alive with giving chocolate hearts and other goodies).  It made me feel remembered, connected & loved.


My mom is a traditionaliast and thanks to her so am I.  She has passed this on to me and I am very grateful!  I hope I will do as good as a job as she did as I pass down traditions to my children.  Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment